As early as 1900, the Grand Larousse mentions Chteau Carbonneau as a vintage of good Bordeaux Wines. At the time red wines were produced on the property as well as semi-sweet and sweet white wines.
In 1937 Harold and Claude Ray, new owners and grand parents of the present owner, decided to face up to the economic difficulties of the time and joined the Wine Cooperative in Gensac. This continued until shortly after 1992, when Wilfrid and Jacquie Franc de Ferriere inherited the property and began by replanting the vineyard with grape varieties typical of the Bordeaux region, especially Merlot which grows well on the slopes of Gensac.
In 1996, the former wine cellar was transformed into a modern winery with stainless steel vats. Thus began the revival of wine at Carbonneau. The Vineyard covers 15 hectares planted on the clay/limestone soils of the slopes of Gensac.